Greenhouse Operation Lead
Greenhouse Operation Lead
Nature Fresh Farms is a Leamington-based greenhouse company with facilities in Leamington, ON and Delta, OH. Our company and its innovative, dynamic team is expanding every day, growing new plant varieties and introducing cutting-edge ideas and practices to the fresh produce industry. However, at Nature Fresh, we don’t just grow plants – we also grow people. Our team is passionate about bringing the highest quality products to consumers, but it is also committed to creating an inspiring, diverse, and team-oriented workplace environment that everyone can enjoy. Nature Fresh Farms is a recognized leader within the greenhouse farming industry – join our team and help us continue to grow!
Nature Fresh Farms is currently accepting applications for full time positions for Greenhouse Operations Lead at our greenhouse/packing operations in Leamington, ON.
Our Greenhouse Operations Leads play a key role in completing day-to-day greenhouse vegetable operations to ensure the necessary produce is harvested and packaged to meet customer orders and standards. It is a Greenhouse Operations Leads responsibility to ensure that employees apply proper plant maintenance for successful plant growth, picking, and pack for quality production. Leads will be assigned to areas that are most suited towards their skill set.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Coaching employees and demonstrating proper plant maintenance processes such as pruning, twisting, de-leafing, picking, clipping, string tying etc. on an on-going basis.
· During crop turnover are responsible for ensuring all cleanout tasks and start up tasks are completed including ensuring the greenhouse is cleaned and ready for planting.
· Monitoring plant conditions such as pest, diseases and maintenance issues and reporting any concerns.
· Ensuring production lines are organized, prepared, cleaned, and maintained to Health and Safety standards and ensuring only quality products are packaged.
· Overseeing the packing lines to ensure they are running efficiently; quickly troubleshooting issues to keep the lines moving.
· Overseeing the inventory of packaging materials and re-ordering as required.
· Reviewing daily work orders and ensuring packs are completed according to pack instructions and customer specifications.
· Maintaining and completing pre-operational and post cleaning procedure checklists for production lines.
· Planning, delegating, motivating and lead the team well to improve performance and quality, while ensuring work is done efficiently, correctly, and up to quality standards.
· Training, organizing, and developing work schedules.
· Ensuring all company health and safety and food compliance policies, procedures and standards are adhered to while upholding and monitoring quality control to ensure standards are always met.
· Maintaining confidentiality of all proprietary information, as well as other Company data, including personnel information.
· Providing feedback, performance reviews and if necessary, apply progressive discipline processes for non-compliances, in a respectful manner.
· Completing required paperwork according to policies set out by Nature Fresh.
· Troubleshoot and complete routine repairs, general maintenance, and preventative maintenance on smaller machines and equipment.
· Perform simple machinist duties and responsibilities, as directed.
· Detect faulty operations, defective material, and report those and any unusual issues to the Maintenance Supervisor.
· Use a variety of hand and power tools, and material handling equipment in performing duties.
· Completes crop registrations and documents variety trials for different commodities.
· Prepares and sends reports on varieties and quality on a weekly basis.
· Harvest trials and weigh picked fruit and enter the data into an Excel spreadsheet as required.
· Conduct shelf-life, sugar and acid testing of fruit.
· Inspect the fruit’s shape, colour, firmness, aging, cracking etc. and document as required.
· Additional duties as assigned.
· Ability to communicate effectively in English & Spanish is an asset.
· Greenhouse Operations experience considered an asset.
· Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and to motivate a group of people.
· Documentation, attention to detail, time management skills required.
· Basic mathematical skills required.
· The greenhouse environment can be very hot, humid, moist, or cold for most of the year
· The greenhouse environment may have bees, bugs, and pests
· Working with a team of people from different cultural backgrounds
· Hours will fluctuate to reflect ongoing needs of the business, 40-60 hours per week average
· Available to work weekends and holidays
· Walking, sitting, and standing throughout the day.
· Some heavy lifting
· Utilizing and pulling a scissor cart
Salary – Based on experience. $18-$22
Vacation pay, stat holiday pay, benefits
Will have the potential to earn bonuses based on performance & quality of work.
Location – 525 Essex Road 14, Leamington, ON
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to join our dynamic team, we encourage you to apply through Indeed, or company website. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Nature Fresh Farms is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome applications from candidates, in accordance with all relevant legislation. Nature Fresh Farms provides an accessible environment in which all individuals have access in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.