November is Falls Prevention Month
SECC is proud to be a part of the Windsor-Essex Falls Prevention Committee. Here are 5 Tips to Mindfully Avoid Falls:
1. Bring your attention to how your body is feeling before, during, and after changing position; for example, from lying down to sitting or from sitting to standing. Ask yourself “How is my body feeling right now? Am I dizzy or light headed? Do I feel pain or weakness in some part of my body?”
2. While walking, pay attention to the act of walking. Try to focus only on the walking. Our minds are easily distracted which can increase the potential for falls.
3. Use your breath, the sensation, and awareness of your breath to keep your attention in the present moment. You may need to repeat this many times until it becomes a habit.
4. Slow down. During every daily task, try to bring attention to the task at hand rather than allowing your thoughts to move onto something else.
5. Use everyday objects and events to help you bring your attention back to the present moment. For example, noticing the sound of a wind chime or a red traffic light are great examples that can help you to bring your attention back to the present moment.