Reports To: Head Grower
Days/Hours: Full time, flexibility is required as hours will vary based on the season
Compensation Type: Salary/Compensation to be based on experience
The Junior Grower position is responsible to assist the head grower in the management of crop growing operations for the Greenhouse facility . This person is also responsible for the proper care of the greenhouse, including the principles and practices of plant cultivation, propagation, and protection. This position includes the task of supervising employees, to give instructions, to oversee, and coach when necessary.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- 1-2 years floor experience in greenhouse (Required)
- Fluent in Both English and Spanish, spoken/written (Required)
- 6 months to 1 year of supervisory experience (Asset)
- General Horticultural courses (Asset)
- Knowledge of Hoogendoorn Climate Controls (Asset)
- Forklift Certification (Asset)
- WHIMS Training
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Must be able to identify the plants and their problems (diseases, pests, and others).
- Must be able to assist in the planning, organizing, and/or coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting.
- Strong verbal and analytical skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Must be computer literate in Excel, Word and capable of running greenhouse computerized software.
- Must be willing to work some weekends
- Must have Transportation
- Identify the plants and their problems (diseases, pests, and others).
- Plan, organize, and/or coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting.
- Coordinate biological control department to monitor pest and disease levels.
- Supervision of labour, assigning tasks, coaching workers.
- Ensure all SOP’s are followed and enforced and ensure strict crop hygiene practices are followed and enforced.
- Maintain records on crop growth data (weekly crop report, climate report, production, etc.).
- The greenhouse environment can be very hot, humid, moist, or cold for most of the year
- The greenhouse environment may have bees, bugs, and pests
- Working both independently and with a team
- Ability to communicate with all organizational levels is essential
- Heavy lifting up to 50 lbs
- Utilizing and pulling a scissor cart
- May spend extended amounts of time on your feet
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not constructed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.